Greetings Le Grand Union High School District Community,
Given the recent update from the state on masking policies at schools, we wanted to clearly communicate what you can expect on Le Grand school campuses for the next two weeks.
February 28th Announcement
The governor announced the timeline and details for ending the indoor mask requirement for school settings.
California Department of Public Health (CDPH) announcement provided the current guidelines:
- Masking is still required indoors until the end of the day Friday, March 11.
- Masking is still recommended beyond Friday, March 11.
- The first day of in-class instruction with voluntary masking will be Monday, March 14.
- The new state policy provides no distinction between vaccinated and unvaccinated students and staff.
- Local health departments may issue stricter guidelines.
Le Grand High School District will follow the Merced County Department of Public Health and CDPH guidelines for indoor masking.
How Does This Impact Your Child?
Currently, all students in California are required to wear masks indoors for a school district to remain in compliance with state law. CDPH will be updating K-12 Schools Guidance to reflect that students and staff members in K-12 settings will be strongly recommended, but not required to mask while indoors, beginning Monday, March 14.
Respecting Personal Choice
- The state is providing personal choice for masking in schools with the expectation that individual choices are respected.
- No one should make assumptions regarding someone’s beliefs or health status based upon their choice to wear or not wear a mask, nor should they comment on them.
- For young children, we ask families to please let teachers know their wishes, and ask that teachers do their best to reinforce them. Teachers and Administrators should discuss the change with students in a developmentally appropriate manner, including how to respect everyone’s personal choice.
- If your student(s) expresses any anxiety, feel free to reach out to our school counselors for additional support as needed.
- Students and staff should continue to remain home when sick.
- Students and staff are encouraged to take a COVID-19 test if exhibiting symptoms and/or if they have a known exposure to COVID-19.
Thank you for your continued collaboration as Le Grand High School District moves toward a true endemic state. Everyone is looking forward to classrooms and interpersonal interactions that help all students feel better connected and engaged. We truly appreciate your patience and understanding as we take every step to preserve the health of our students and staff while keeping our community as safe and healthy as possible. Please have a safe and healthy week ahead.